* This recipe is NOT Low FODMAP.
Aush reshteh is a type of thick, legume-based soup with rich herbs featuring reshteh
(noodles) and kashk (a whey based dairy product made from cooked yogurt) commonly made in Iran and Azerbaijan.
This soup is a hearty noodle soup with loads of beans, greens, onions, herbs and spices. This Gut Loving recipe is full of protein, fiber, iron, calcium, and more which makes your gut microbes fall in love with you!
Ingredients- Serves: 8
2 large onions, sliced
7 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tsp turmeric
1/3 cup garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
1/3 cup kidney beans
1/3 cup navy beans
½ cup lentils
½ cup mung beans
2 cups finely chopped fresh parsley
2 cups finely chopped fresh cilantro
2 cups finely chopped fresh mint or 1 tablespoon dried mint
1 cup chopped fresh chives or scallions (green portion of scallions only)
½ pound chopped fresh spinach
½ pound linguine (or reshteh, Persian noodles)
1 cup sour cream or plain yoghurt or kashk (Persian whey)
Salt & pepper to taste
1. If using dried legumes, soak them the night before, cook each one separately until tender. You can always use canned, strain before adding to the pot.
2. Sauté onions and garlic until past translucent. Then add turmeric and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes. Set onion and garlic aside until ready to go in the pot.
3. Bring 6 cups of water to boil.
4. Add chopped herbs and simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes.
5. Add the spinach and cook for a further 10 mins.
6. Add onion and garlic mixture.
7. Add cooked/ canned chickpeas, navy beans and kidney beans to the pot, let simmer for 10 minutes.
8. Add lentils and mung beans. If you add these two too early, they tend to disintegrate.
9. Add noodles. Make sure to stir it in so they don’t stick together. Simmer until cooked.
10. Season the ingredients with salt and pepper. Then mix well.
11. Drizzle some sour cream or plain yoghurt or kashk on the top.
12. Optional: Garnish with kashk (yoghurt or sour cream), caramelized onions and fried mint.